Regular Council Meeting
Melcher-Dallas City Hall
April 13th, 2015
Mayor Karpan called the city council meeting to order at 7:00 p.m.
Council members present: Fisher, Brown, Herold, Russell. Council member Alexander arrived at 7:12 pm
Approval of Agenda
A motion was made by Fisher to approve the agenda. Seconded by Russell. Ayes-All. Motion carried.
NOTICE TO THE PUBLIC: All items listed under the consent agenda will be enacted by one motion. There will be no separate discussion on these items unless a request is made prior to the time Council votes on the motion.
Approval of March 9th, 2015 Minutes
Approval of Claims from March 9th, 2015-April 10th 2015 in the amount of $44,130.81
Approval of Treasurers Report
Approval of Consent Agenda
A motion was made by Fisher to approve the consent agenda. Seconded by Russell. Ayes-All. Motion carried.
PERSONS WISHING TO SPEAK (LIMITED TO FIVE MINUTES)
Janice Blubaugh asked council if she could extend her fence onto city property to keep people from driving through her yard into the back field. Council will look into putting up barricades to try and control the issue.
1) Discuss Sidewalk Damage Due to Tree Roots with Possible Action
A motion was made by Fisher that the city will repair sidewalks that are damaged due to tree roots (trees in city ROW). City employees will inspect the sidewalk to determine if repair is needed and how much will be replaced. Seconded by Herold. Ayes-All. Motion carried.
2) Approval to Grant Extension for Sidewalk Repair
3) Discuss Amending Ordinance 55.05 (Livestock) Regarding Chickens
4) Discuss with Possible Action Erecting a Slow Traffic Sign on Walnut
5) Discuss with Possible Action a BBQ Pit at Craftiques on Merger Days
A motion was made by Fisher to approve a portable BBQ pit in front of Craftiques on May 2nd. The pit will be located in a parking spot. Seconded by Russell. Ayes-All. Motion carried.
6) Approval of Land Donation from Iowa State Savings Bank To Public Library
A motion was made by Fisher to approve the land donation from Iowa State Savings Bank. The land donated is the strip between the bank and the new library. Seconded by Brown. Ayes-All. Motion carried.
7) Approval to Resolution 2015-42 (Deposit Friends of the Library Funds into Library General Funds for New Library Construction Expenses)
A motion was made by Herold to approve Resolution 2015-42. Seconded Brown. Ayes-All. Motion carried.
8) Approval of Resolution 2015-43 (Change Times and Location of Farmers Market)
A motion was made by Herold to approve Resolution 2015-43. Seconded by Brown. Ayes-All. Motion Carried.
9) Approval of Proposed 2015 Budget Amendment
A motion was made by Herold to approve the proposed budget amendment. Seconded by Fisher. Ayes-All. Motion Carried.
10) Order Public Hearing for Proposed Budget Amendment
A motion was made by Fisher to set the public hearing for the proposed 2015 budget amendment for May 11th, 2015 at 7:00 pm. Seconded by Herold. Ayes-All.
11) Discuss Sealcoat of Streets for 2015
A motion was made by Fisher to contact LL Pelling and get a quote for sealcoat and use up to $75,000 in L.O.S.T. for the project. Seconded by Brown. Ayes-All. Motion carried.
12) Re-Appointment of Shane Ripperger to Zoning Board
A motion was made by Fisher to re-appoint Shane Ripperger to the zoning board. Seconded by Herold. Ayes-All. Motion carried.
13) Discuss Lights at City Sign on North Side of Town with Possible Action
City discussed putting in more powerful lights under the city sign on the north side of town. Employees will look at what type of solar lights to get.
14) Discuss Face book Page for Police Department with Possible Action
15) Review Marion County Foundation Grant
The city has applied for the $10,000.00 anniversary grant for park improvements and the $5,000 grant for museum improvements.
16) Discuss Vacation of East/West Alley Between Park and Orchard
A motion was made by Fisher to proceed with the sale of the alley between Park and Orchard. Seconded by Russell. Ayes-All. Motion carried.
17) Approval of Water Permit/New Connection and Discussion of Material and Labor Costs
A motion was made by Fisher to approve the new water connection permit and all materials and labor expenses will be the homeowner’s responsibility. Seconded by Brown. Ayes-All. Motion carried.
18) Discuss Property at 111 SW 1st Street
A motion was made by Fisher to allow 1 month from the meeting date (April 13th) for the homeowner to clear the front yard/porch from debris, junk and cars. Seconded by Russell. Ayes-All. Motion carried.
Water-Employee can work flex hours
Streets-Corner of S45 between empty lots needs concrete due to trucks cutting corner.
Public Safety Report-High burglar rate at this time. Updating radios.
Fire Chief Report-Active month. Two firefighters resigned.
Library Board Report-NA
Planning and Zoning Report-NA
Board of Adjustment Report-NA
Mayor’s Report-Street light at Casey’s out. Resident wants to put in garden on abandoned lot.
Council’s Report-Tree on SE 2nd is being removed. Culvert and alley between Orchard and Park still needs fixed.
Clerk’s Report-CCR Report Notification was published in the Reminder rather than the Journal Express. Verizon will begin cell phone tower construction 4th Qtr of 2015.
A motion was made by Fisher to adjourn at 8:45 pm. Seconded by Brown. Ayes-All. Motion carried.
Mayor Louis Karpan City Clerk Martha Becker