WATER LINE EXTENSIONS
|93.01 Purpose||93.04 Construction by Owner|
|93.02 Definitions||93.05 Connection Charge|
|93.03 Construction by City||93.06 Rights of City|
93.01 PURPOSE. The purpose of this chapter is to provide a means and method for the extension of water mains to serve property not served by an existing water line so as to preserve and improve the peace, safety, health, welfare, comfort and convenience of the residents of the City.
93.02 DEFINITIONS. For use in this chapter, the following terms are defined:
1. “Builder” means the owner of land who causes a water main to be installed under the provisions of this chapter. Such term includes the heirs, successors or assigns of such owner.
2. “Estimated cost” means a cost estimate prepared by a registered professional engineer or qualified contractor experienced in the installation of water main pipe and appurtenances. All such estimates are subject to the approval of the Council and in the event of any disagreement as to the amount of estimated costs, the materials to be used or installation methods, the determination of the Council shall be final and conclusive.
93.03 CONSTRUCTION BY CITY. An owner of land abutting or adjoining a property or a public street where no water main has been installed may make application to the Council for the installation of a water main along such property and in the street for the purpose of serving the property in accordance with the following:
1. Application and Deposit. A written request for such installation, and a sum equal to the total estimated cost of the installation from the point where the water main is presently installed and terminates to the point where the most distant boundary of the owner’s lot abuts an adjoining property or the public street, shall be submitted to the Council.
2. Construction. Upon receipt of the deposit, the City shall construct the water main for the purpose of serving the property of the applicant (builder), as soon as such construction can reasonably be accomplished.
3. Additional Costs. In the event the actual cost to the City of installation of the water main is in excess of the estimated cost, the builder agrees to reimburse the City for the actual additional cost within thirty (30) days after the presentation of a bill for such additional cost.
4. Lien Authorized. In the event of the failure of the builder to reimburse the City, as specified in subsection 3 above, the total of the additional cost shall be certified to the County Treasurer as a special assessment lien against the builder’s real estate. In the written request for installation of the water main, the landowner shall waive all objections to jurisdiction and rights to notice and consent to the entry of such a special assessment lien against the real estate.
5. Maximum Cost. The additional cost of installation, as contemplated in subsections 3 and 4 above, shall not exceed one hundred ten percent (110%) of the estimated cost.
6. Connecting Property. The expense of connecting the property of the builder to the water main shall be borne by the builder, in addition to the cost of constructing said water main, but such connection shall be under the supervision of the City.
93.04 CONSTRUCTION BY OWNER. In the event an owner of land abutting or adjoining a property or public street in which no water main has been previously installed desires to construct said water main at the owner’s own expense, the owner may do so, after making proper application to the City and receiving a permit to install such a water main, in accordance with the following:
1. City Supervision. The installation of such a water main by a landowner at the owner’s expense shall be under the strict supervision of the City and shall, in all ways, conform to the requirements and specifications of the City.
2. Surety Bond. When making application to the City for a permit to install such a water main, the applicant shall post with the City a surety bond, in an amount to be set by the Council and made a matter of record in the minutes of the Council, which shall be in an amount equal to but not less than one hundred ten percent (110%) of the total estimated cost of the installation for the full distance from the termination point of the presently existing water main to the point where the farthest boundary of the applicant’s land abuts the property or street, and the bond shall guarantee the installation of the water main in as short a time as reasonably possible and shall further indemnify the City for the cost of completing the project in the event the applicant fails to complete the project within a reasonable time, and shall further indemnify the City for all damages to public property incurred in the installation, and shall further hold the City harmless for any and all other damages arising from the installation of the water main.
3. Ownership of Water Main. After the water main has been installed, it shall become the property of the City.
4. Valves Furnished by City. The City shall furnish main line valves, installed as part of the water main extensions contemplated by this chapter, at its own expense, and the installation of such valves shall be at such locations as the City may designate.
93.05 CONNECTION CHARGE. Following the installation of an extension to the water system under the provisions of this chapter, there shall be paid to the City a connection charge in an amount equal to one-half (½) the lineal construction cost for the full width of any lot, tract or parcel of ground to be served by a connection to such water main. Such connection charge shall be paid to the City prior to making any connection to said water main.
93.06 RIGHTS OF CITY. All decisions in connection with the manner of installation of any extension and maintenance thereof shall remain in the exclusive control of the City and such extension shall be the property of the City and no other person shall have any right, title or interest therein.