OPERATION OF GOLF CARTS ON CITY STREETS
|77.01 Purpose||77.07 Hours of Operation|
|77.02 Definition||77.08 Speed|
|77.03 Operation of Golf Carts Permitted||77.09 Inspection|
|77.04 Prohibited Streets||77.10 Permits|
|77.05 Unlawful Operation||77.11 Penalty|
77.01 PURPOSE. The purpose of this chapter is to permit the operation of golf carts on certain streets in the City, as authorized by Section 321.247 of the Code of Iowa, as amended. This chapter applies whenever a golf cart is operated on any street or alley of the City of Melcher-Dallas, Iowa.
77.02 DEFINITION. “Golf cart” means a three or four wheeled recreational vehicle generally used for transportation of person(s) in the sport of golf, that is limited in engine displacement of less than 800 cubic centimeters and total dry weight of less than 800 pounds.
77.03 OPERATION OF GOLF CARTS PERMITTED. Golf carts may be operated upon streets of the City by persons possessing a valid Iowa operator’s license, and at least sixteen (16) years of age except as prohibited in the City’s Traffic Code (Chapters 60 through 70) or this chapter.
77.04 PROHIBITED STREETS. Golf carts shall not be operated upon any City street which is a primary road extension through the City. However, golf carts may cross such a primary road extension.
77.05 UNLAWFUL OPERATION.
1. No golf carts shall be operated or parked upon City sidewalks.
2. No golf cart shall be operated while under the influence of intoxicating liquor, narcotics or habit forming drugs.
3. No person shall operate a golf cart in a careless, reckless or negligent manner endangering the person or property of another or causing injury or damage to same.
4. No golf cart shall carry more passengers than the golf cart is designed for.
77.06 EQUIPMENT. Golf carts operated upon City streets shall be equipped with a minimum of the following safety features.
1. A slow moving vehicle sign.
2. A bicycle safety flag, the top of which shall be a minimum of five (5) feet from ground level.
3. Adequate brakes.
4. Repealed by Ord. 116 – Jan. 15 Supp.
5. Rear view mirror—driver’s side.
77.07 HOURS OF OPERATION. Golf carts may be operated on City streets only between sunrise and sunset.
77.08 SPEED. No golf cart shall be operated on any City street at a speed in excess of twenty-five (25) miles per hour. Posted speed must be followed in accordance with the Code of Iowa.
77.09 INSPECTION. No golf cart shall be permitted or operated upon the streets of the City of Melcher-Dallas until the golf cart passes inspection by City Personnel.
77.10 PERMITS. No person shall operate a golf cart on any public street or alley, for any purpose, unless the operator possesses a City of Melcher-Dallas permit to operate a golf cart on City streets, issued by the City Clerk of Melcher-Dallas, Iowa.
1. Golf cart owners may apply for a permit from the Melcher-Dallas City Clerk on forms provided by the City.
2. The Clerk shall not issue a permit until the owner/operator has provided the following:
A. Evidence that the operator is at least 16 years of age, and possesses a valid Iowa driver’s license.
B. Proof that owner/operator has liability insurance covering operation of golf carts on City streets in the amount required by the Code of Iowa.
3. All permits shall be issued for a specific golf cart. Permits holders will be issued a number and will purchase 3″ minimum reflective numbers to affix to the left side rear fender or similar component.
4. The fee for such permits shall be fifteen dollars ($15.00). Permits will be granted for one (1) year and renewable annually March 1st. The full amount of the license fee shall be required regardless of the time of year that the application is made. (Ord. 119 – Jan. 15 Supp.)
5. The permit may be suspended or revoked upon finding evidence that the permit holder has violated the conditions of the permit or has abused the privilege of being a permit holder. There will be no refund of the permit fee.
77.11 PENALTY. In addition to the suspension or revocation of the permit, a person who violates this chapter is guilty of a municipal infraction under Chapter 4 of this Code of Ordinances, for which the penalty is a maximum of $750.00 for the first offense and a maximum of $1,000.00 for each repeat offense. (Code of Iowa, Sec. 321.247)